do you really need the extra insurance?

3 Things To Know About Continuing Education Requirements For Insurance Agents In New York

by Rick Mcguinness

If you live in the state of New York, and you work as an insurance agent, you need to take continuing education courses to maintain your licenses. These courses are designed to make sure that you have the most relevant and current information so you can perform the duties of your job correctly.

#1: Continuous Education Hours Do Not Carry Over

You are required to complete a certain number of continuing education (CE) hours every two years based on the type of license that you hold. If you take more than the required CE hours in two years, you can't carry over those hours into your next two-year license period.

You are more than welcome to take more than the required hours of CE for your personal development, but you can't carry over hours to cover requirements for multiple years. CE is about making sure you are up-to-date with current rules and laws, and carrying over credits defeats this purpose.

#2: Number of Hours Depends on the Number of Licenses

You can hold multiple types of insurance licenses based on the type of insurance policies you sell and the type of work you do. When it comes to CE requirements, you have to complete 15 credit hours every two years for each license type. The classes that you take have to provide you with 15 credit hours for each type of license.

So if you hold two different licenses, you will need to complete 30 hours of continuing education, with 15 hours applying to one type of license and 15 hours applying to the other type of license you hold.

#3: Multiple Acceptable Training Methods

When it comes to getting the continuous education you need, five different training methods are approved by New York.

You can take a correspondence course, where the material is printed and sent to you. With this type of course, you will have to complete the required reading and fill out homework forms. You will then take a test that you will mail in to be graded to show you learned the material.

You can take a class in a traditional classroom setting, where an instructor teaches you. You can take an online class as well, where you work through the course online. Online courses may include recorded videos as well as reading materials. Alternatively, you can attend a company seminar, as long as the state approves it. There are also CD-ROM computer-based training programs you can take as well.

If you are an insurance provider in the state of New York, it is best to schedule and take your CE classes as soon as possible. Don't wait until the last minute to take the classes; you want to submit your required hours and allow enough time for the information to be logged and verified. Be sure to take courses that apply to your license class, which will help you with your job.

For more information about the requirements in New York, insurance CE, or other questions, contact a local insurance professional.