do you really need the extra insurance?

3 Insurance Problems To Avoid When Moving To A New State

by Rick Mcguinness

Whether you're moving to the next state over or from one coast (or border) of the country to the other, you should do everything possible in advance to ensure that you have a safe trip. That includes making sure you have plenty of emergency supplies, a current roadside assistance subscription, and of course plenty of insurance to cover any eventuality. Here are three common insurance problems to head off before you head out.

1. Insufficient auto insurance

Insurance requirements vary. Be sure to do your research into your destination's requirements well in advance and put a plan in place to make sure your insurance is up to snuff when you move. You may need to purchase additional insurance for the state you're moving to. There will probably be a grace period, so you may be able to purchase your additional insurance after the moving day, but be sure to check well in advance so that you have time to make those plans.

In addition, you'll want to double-check your insurance policy to see if your car will be covered during a cross-country move. If you're unsure, speak to your insurance company about whether this type of move is included in your current policy.

2. No coverage for truck driving

If you're planning on driving a moving truck, you're very likely to need additional coverage. That's because large trucks such as moving trucks are considered a different category of vehicle than your family car, and so they aren't automatically included in all auto insurance policies. You may be able to purchase insurance

3. Freight insurance on valuables

Even if you have a great auto insurance policy, it's not going to cover the belongings in your moving truck. You'll need to purchase separate coverage plans for these; your moving company may offer something called "released value" coverage, but that tends to be totally insufficient for most belongings because it's typically only worth 60 cents per pound. So, your collection of antique jewelry would only be covered for a couple of dollars. (At that rate, why even bother?) You'll want to purchase designated moving insurance for most of your belongings and additional insurance for valuables such as collectibles, antiques, and heirlooms.

These are three potential moving insurance difficulties you can avoid with a little forethought, research, and careful planning. Whether you're planning on driving the moving truck or hiring a full-service moving company, covering yourself and your belongings with plenty of insurance is the first step in planning a safe, trouble-free move.

For more information, contact an insurance company like Amco.